Coaching case studies and sample executive assessment engagements
A sampling of case studies focusing on individuals, C-suite relationships, and senior executive groups.
Addressing individual growth
- Coached the CEO of a major US corporation as it transitioned toward a global presence with facilities in India, China, South America, and Australia. Coaching focus: although a powerful change agent, the CEO demonstrated significant challenges with control and an inclination toward micro-management. Outcome: the CEO dramatically improved his powers of introspection and gained perspective on his need for control.
- At the request of the Board of Directors, coached the CFO of a major US energy company. Coaching focus: strengthen strategic orientation, enhance team play, and refine leadership skills. Outcome: CFO improved in relevant individual development areas and learned to better focus on leveraging strengths.
Improving senior executive relationships
- At the request of the Board of Directors, coached two C-level executives of a major services organization. Coaching focus: while both were very high performers, they had great difficulty communicating with each other and had caused the Board to conclude that one of these executives would need to leave the organization. Outcome: both executives were able to negotiate an approach to communicating that worked and both remained with the organization.
Working with several senior executives in a company
- For a major global IT consulting company with headquarters in Europe, coached three newly promoted country heads over three years. Coaching focus: to balance team strengths and alignment and to increase intra-cultural adaptability. Outcome: two of the country heads successfully transitioned into their roles, and the third was promoted to COO.
- For a major global HR consulting firm, served as external coach for six SVPs. Coaching focus: intensive leadership counseling. As a matter of policy, on being promoted to SVP, every executive is required to undergo six months of rigorous coaching. This is an ongoing contract, and the client relationship has lasted 12 years.
- For an international oil and gas company in Asia, coached several C-suite executives. Based on specific client needs, in addition to traditional leadership development, these six-month engagements also emphasized work-life balance.
A representative sampling of assignments.
- An ongoing engagement assessing candidates for senior-level leadership roles for a major global energy corporation.
- For one of the world’s leaders in alternative energy, evaluating all potential new leadership hires to ensure organizational fit and effectiveness.
- For a leading pharmaceutical company, assessing a team of sales executives for the purposes of development and succession planning
- For a major US nuclear energy utility, an ongoing assignment appraising candidates for senior-level leadership roles.
- For a major US financial institution, evaluating senior talent within newly acquired companies to determine talent gaps and opportunities and merge talent into the parent organization.
US government agencies
- Conducting hundreds of psychological evaluations to screen leaders to serve overseas in Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Helping to restructure the Chicago Housing Authority by redesigning the CHA’s leadership development initiative, creating numerous programs for the progressive development of senior management.
For more information or questions, contact John Behr at +1 (312) 882-6224
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
[John] developed a strong sense of my skills and leadership quickly and effectively, which helped us focus our energies in the right places to do very good work together.
–VP, Corporate Development, Financial Services Company